Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Rainy Day Guide

What should you do when the rains hit Chennai? Get wet. Seriously, I looked this up and almost every answer involved getting wet, such as eating on a rooftop restaurant or going for a walk on the beach. In fact, if you watch from the safety of your car, a whole lot of people are just out there getting wet, secure in the knowledge that they aren't going to melt. Recently, I have liked seeing all the AISC people out on the beach on the weekends in between rains. I personally don't mind the rain. There's a big difference in the rain here and rain in North America: you don't generally get cold here. But if that's not your thing, Pepper has posted that she's got a lot of puzzles in her classroom that you can check out. There are some coffee shops and restaurants (like Ashvita and Coffee Central) that have board games upon request - or - you can head out to play billiards at The Cue Zone or go bowling at Fun and Bowling in Velacheri (Grand Mall). The point is that there's actually a lot to do here if you're willing to do a little research. There's a "Little Black Book Chennai" app that I find really useful when I just want to explore a part of Chennai I haven't seen yet. This weekend I found out about a mess of a rare book "shop" that's out of Mr. Govindaraju's garage - dive right in. WE left there with old atlases, 1950s advertisements, and art books for very little cost. Finally (especially if the monsoon season comes with a vengeance), go ahead and have friends over, cook together or get delivery and eat by candlelight if the power goes out. You might not hate it, and this makes for great stories later.

What to know this week:

WELLNESS ACADEMY NEWS:

Here are the course offerings for the fall Wellness Academy. These go LIVE today at 5:00! They are first come, first serve. Please respect the maximum, but you can add your name at the bottom as a "wait list" if the class you want is full. If you have any questions, please email your "instructor".

1 comment:

  1. Will you please share the name of that bookstore? I'd love to go!

    ReplyDelete

Blog

Goodbye for Now