Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Pausing Auto-Play


I hope you have a great Wellness Afternoon today. Here's the signups again. Please check room locations, a couple of them have changed.


A friend sent me this article, How To Stop Wasting Your Life Watching TV and  Do Something Worthwhile  With Your Downtime. I was slightly offended and defensive. I emailed her right back that I had just completed season 3 of Man in the High Tower, and I assured her it was worth every minute. But was it? you may be thinking. Yes, it was. Anyhoo, when I was putting together a seminar about our brains and learning last year, I came across the fact that Netflix allows only seconds between episodes if you're binge watching - not nearly enough time for you to realize you have free will. On their behalf,  they do attempt to give you your life back after an absurd amount of time by posting the guilt-tripping question, "Are you still watching?" - as if no sane person would answer 'yes'.  I only recently learned that you can turn OFF auto play in the Netflix account settings. That's good news for people like me - we don't have to let these multi-national corporations highjack our brains just because we might have poor impulse control! It's Sunday night as I write this. Tonight, my husband and I will watch exactly one episode of a cooking show and fix dinner together.


Wednesday Treat: Resilience and Perseverance - keep on smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog

Goodbye for Now